BOOKS ABROAD - HOW TO APPLY FOR FREE BOOKS
WHERE - WHO - HOW
Like any charity, Books Abroad really just want to make a difference to other people’s lives. But how do we do it? Where do we work? Who are these people we strive to help so much?
WHERE WE WORK
CENTRAL / SOUTH AMERICA
WHO DO WE HELP?
Our charity helps anyone in need who asks, from any country in the world. We send our books free of charge by the best route we can find.
HOW TO ASK FOR OUR HELP - What is required of your organisation to receive a donation?
- To receive books for your school there are a few terms and conditions we kindly request you adhere to, to ensure books arrive safely and to help us maintain or improve our level service.
- First you’ll need to get in touch and send us your signed acceptance of our requirements and you will also need to fill out selection guide to allow us to send the books most appropriate to your school.
- On arrival of your book packages we request a prompt response to let us know they have arrived safely, this will ensure you stay on our despatch list for the remainder of our 3 year rotation.
- If the books have not arrived within 5 months please notify us immediately.
- Download the book donation Information sheet for head teachers and full Terms and Conditions.
HOW DO WE DO IT ?
Books are mainly donated by local schools, colleges, universities and private individuals. All the work is carried out by volunteers. We support developing countries worldwide (currently 92 countries).
Funds are raised in our local communities through Book Sales, Plant Sales and Coffee Mornings, Musical Evenings and various other activities which are held regularly throughout the year. Larger amounts are raised by direct appeals to Trusts and Companies as well as much needed and appreciated donations through our memberships.
Great efforts are made to respond to requests made by schools and other institutions, and when no appropriate books are available from our second-hand stock new ones are purchased as funds allow.
In addition to this we supply atlases, dictionaries, health books, eg, "Where There Is No Doctor" and "Where There Is No Dentist".
The parcels are wrapped in clear polythene which speeds passage through customs.
Parcels, wrapped in clear polythene to speed the passage through customs, are small enough to be carried to even the most remote sites without roads, but when possible, we send parcels via containers to contacts within our countries for onward distribution to our schools, dramatically reducing the delivery cost.